Monday, June 7, 2010

SIMPLIFY: Week 5 - First Aid

Now that we have the little guy running around, I have felt the vital urgency to have a good First Aid Kit.  I found a great list that I cut out of a magazine months ago that identifies everything a first aid kit should contain.  Instead of just buying a prepared kit, which can be expensive and kinda flimsy, I decided to put together my own. This week I got busy on this project and made three of them, one for the house and one for each car as that was strongly recommended in the article.  I purchased three sturdy (and inexpensive) totes at Wal-Mart and then just got busy buying up travel sized items for them.  Although I hope we don't need to use them often, I was excited about how they turned out.



I have searched high and low but can't determine where I got my list... so here it is all typed out for you (depending on the age of kiddos it is probably best to include both adult and kid versions of the medicines in your kit):
  • Acetaminophen
  • Adhesive tape
  • Aerosol disinfectant spray
  • alcohol wipes
  • allergy medication
  • antibiotic cream (Neosporin)
  • Antiseptic solution (like Hydrogen peroxide)
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Adhesive bandages (in several sizes) and elastic bandages
  • Blanket (at least stored nearby)
  • calamine lotion
  • cold packs (disposable, instant cold)
  • emergency phone numbers
  • first aid manual (download free version here)
  • flashlight and extra batteries
  • gauze, sterile
  • gloves, plastic (at least 2 pair)
  • hand sanitizer
  • Hydrocortisone cream (1%)
  • ibuprofen
  • safety pins
  • scissors (sharp)
  • soap
  • thermometer
  • tweezers
  • any prescription medications family members taking
  • *I also included some bug spray even though it wasn't on the list
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail."
-- Ben Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment