Sunday, March 7, 2010

One Step at a Time

This weekend I headed to a wallpaper store so that I could get started on Project Staircase.  I checked online and the store sold all the samples I liked!  I packed B up Saturday morning and away we went.  I got there and BOOOO..none of the samples were in stock in the store!  I was extremely disappointed because all the wallpaper that was in stock was really icky and reminded me of a funeral home...Bummer...  Basically, I was going to have to order a roll of my choice and the cheapest it was going to cost me was about $40...another big BOOOO.  So before I made my decision, I strolled over to the clearance bin..more yuck!  But after some digging, I found it!  A roll that would work... a little more subdued than I was looking for but when I saw the price tag of $5.99 for the roll I knew I had my winner.
     So today during B's naptime and some other free moments I could spare, I finally finished!

little reminder...the Before pic


Our new staircase!!!  Didn't want to wait till morning to snap the photos cause I was too excited


So basically just measured out the pieces of wallpaper...placed a level on the wallpaper for a straight edge and then cut along the level with a sharp box cutter.. this part actually took a bit and had to have an extra set of hands a couple of times..thanks Timmy!  Found some good double stick adhesive tape and taped em up so they will be easy to remove when me move! 
I just loved this project..especially the cost of $5.99 (around 10.00 including the tape).  However, I will say I am glad I decided to skip steps because I don't know if I would have had the patience to do the entire staircase!


4 comments:

  1. Speaking from my old carpet selling days...Next time you need wallpaper, check the flooring stores. Many of them sell wallpaper and sometimes have rolls in-stock. Also, you might check the hardware or big box stores for Contact Paper . . . Don't know if they still make contact paper, but when I was younger I made over many items with it. Canisters, boxes, etc. Just a thought. You could double-stick tape it just like wallpaper instead of peeling off the back. Contact Paper sticks f-o-r-e-v-e-r!!! I have a set of canisters in my kitchen that I papered 41 years ago!!! TRUTH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the stairs! What a fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to add another comment. I was in a Habitat supply store the other day and found rolls of wallpaper (among other things) at .99cents....some of it could work on your project. This is a good place to check out when you have a project at home for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome...thanks for the tips ladies!

    ReplyDelete